The Pews

The Pew Scheme

The cost of building the church came to about £1000.  The plot was given by Seigneur Peter le Pelley from his manor lands.  Part of the cost was borne by the Society for Promoting the Enlargement and Building of Churches and Chapels.  Part came from the forty tenants who subscribed for closed family pews, to be attached for ever to their tenements.  Pew rents secured nearly £300 before building started and ensured a perpetual income (now minuscule) for maintenance.  The Society insisted that at least half the total of 333 seats be ‘open’ to the public.  Unfortunately the Seigneur died before his plan materialised, and it was his son Peter le Pelley III who laid the foundation stone in spring 1820.