Anglicanism in Sark

For 63 years (1611 – 1674) Sark’s remarkable minister Elie Brevint kept his flock Presbyterian – through the Civil War and Commonwealth, long past the restoration of the King.  In 1675 Sark was given a new constitution and came further into the Anglican fold.  To mark the new era, Seigneur de Carteret, newly restored to his Fief by Parliament and the King, donated a chalice and place for communion.  However, Sark continued to prefer its old style of worship.  Under the Le Pelley Seigneurs (1730 – 1852) the ministers continued to be French or Swiss Calvinists.  They were appointed by the Seigneur as his chaplains and largely at his expense.  (In fact, it was not until 1934 that Sark became a vicariate.)
By the time of the French Revolution, church attendance had lapsed and the tavern seems to have stayed open most of the Sabbath.  Working people in Sark were looking to the Methodists for moral leadership and in 1796 a Methodist Chapel was built at La Ville Roussel.  The plan of a Sark Parish Church was conceived as a means of re-establishing the authority of Anglicanism in Sark.